Monday, June 05, 2006

More on the Calvinsm Debate

Marty Duren, over at SBC Outpost, has written a very informative and insightful critique of the Calvinist/Non-Calvinist debate that is ever growing in the SBC. Among the highlights:

"We now find ourselves in a position of continual accusation, misrepresentation, frustration and aggravation. Hyper-calvinism is used as a caricature of actual Calvinism, while Arminianism is thrown around like we just merged with the UMC. It does seem to me that a few from both sides tend to be just a little too reactionary."

I think this statement paints a very accurate picture of what is going on in our beloved convention.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michael D. Estes said...

"Tom Ascol has never, not even once, asked me if I were a Calvinist. He's never made my theological persuasion a test for fellowship and never criticized me for not "staking out a territory.""

Charlie,

I thought that this was probably the most important statement in the entire article. Why does it really matter whether or not someone is calvinistic? The real question is, does this person really care about the lost and about the Gospel? As Akin said, all that matters is a live and warm heart for others.

11:04 PM, June 05, 2006  
Blogger Ben said...

Charlie you are now a Durenite

11:10 AM, June 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Charlie, we hope you had a good move and please know that I'll be praying for your first Sunday at your new church.

9:35 AM, June 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home