Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Akin on Alcohol


I received this in my email account at SEBTS yesterday. I think it comes at an appropriate time. He discussed various issues that came about at the convention and here is his stance on alcohol.

"It was the case that this convention did speak to the issue of alcohol. Some persons expressed surprise that a number of individuals spoke against it. I was not surprised, though I was disappointed. I have observed for some time a growing emphasis on our “liberty in Christ” that I fear neglect of our “responsibility in Christ.” Therefore, let me say several things that I hope are biblical and balanced in assessing the issue. I pray you will hear my heart.

First, Southern Baptists since the late 1800’s have addressed the danger of alcohol with right at 60 resolutions. Beginning as a grassroots movement we have spoken with one voice pointing out the risks of alcohol consumption and the wisdom of abstinence in this area. We did so again in Greensboro with an 85-90% vote according to the chair.


Second, arguments that a total abstinence position is an extra-biblical tradition rooted in legalism are simply false. Now, let me be fair. Does the Bible by direct command condemn the use of alcohol in every instance? The honest answer is no it does not. Jesus clearly turned water into wine (John 2). However, this is where contextual and principle considerations must be engaged. The ancient Hebrew context and the 21st century American context do not have a one to one correspondence in this area. The distilled liquor manufactured today most closely corresponds to the “strong drink” which is consistently condemned in Scripture. My friends Bob Stein (in an article in C.T.) and John MacArthur (in a 3 part sermon series) provide irrefutable evidence of this. Further, Paul’s guidelines for the gray areas of life are helpful at this point. Does this action help me? (1 Cor. 6:12) Can this action enslave me? (1 Cor. 6:12) Could this action be a stumbling block to a fellow believer (1 Cor. 8:13) or an unbeliever (1 Cor. 9:19-22; 10:32-33)? These principles could be summarized in the maxim: “love for others regulates my liberty.” It is certain the alcohol industry has visited immense sorrow and heartache on millions. I will choose not to put one dollar in their pocket. It also is certain that if one never takes the first drink they will never become an alcoholic. The wisdom of this is self-evident.

Third, some draw an analogy with gluttony and point out 1) we don’t have the stomach (pun intended!) to address this, and 2) like gluttony, the issue is moderation. However, logic and experience refute this argument. I would agree we should address the sin of gluttony and perhaps even do so by resolution. But, no one even potentially becomes intoxicated by eating too much, and we do not lose thousands of lives each year because of DUG (Driving Under Gluttony).

No, the use of alcohol in most contexts ignores the biblical principles of wisdom and witness. Can I say it is a sin in every instance to take a drink? No. Can I say it is unwise? Yes. John MacArthur puts it well. Can I take a drink? Yes. Should I take a drink? No. I am grateful that our new President, Dr. Frank Page, served on this year’s Resolution Committee and helped draft resolution #5. I am glad to stand side by side with him and brothers like R.G. Lee, W.A. Criswell, Adrian Rogers, Jerry Vines, Paige Patterson, Chuck Kelly, Phil Roberts, Jeff Iorg, Richard Land, Bobby Welch, Morris Chapman, James Merritt, Johnny Hunt, John Piper, and John MacArthur and a host of others in opposing the evils of alcohol and promoting the wisdom of total abstinence. I promise our alumni, students and supporters that as long as I am president of this seminary, we will be vigilant and passionate in taking a stand against alcohol. We will do so not because of legalism, but because of love."

7 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Very unfortunate.

If it is so obviously unwise to drink, then there should be no need to take a stand against it.

God Bless

Matthew

3:50 PM, June 20, 2006  
Blogger Charlie Wallace said...

Thanks for visiting, Gabe. Sorry - I haven't been checking the page. I've moved states and had a lot of things going, and my team stinks.

9:50 PM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger Charlie Wallace said...

Oh, and I agree with you, Gabe.

9:50 PM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger Charlie Wallace said...

Gabe, check out my profile

9:52 AM, June 23, 2006  
Blogger Mark said...

Gabe, you called Pastor McCoy a "clown" and that doesn't seem very appropriate. How many pastors do you call names like this?

Mark

12:55 AM, July 09, 2006  
Blogger Steve McCoy said...

I know I'm late coming on this thread, but someone just passed the link on to me. Someone please let Gabe know I've responded.

Gabe said, "I think it is sad that we are having to even debate this issue."

Me too, but for different reasons. For example, we are debating whether we should have resolutions that disqualify Jesus from serving in the SBC. But SBC'rs have not only debated it, but voted for it overwhelmingly.

Gabe said, "...go check and see what this clown stevekmccoy.com says about Dr. Akin in his post on drinking the other day, he actually says that Dr. Akin is working against Christ, by making this stand, crazy, huh."

Peter worked against Christ too, at least once. Don't think Akin or Mohler or me or you are exempt.

Clown, eh? Why didn't you say that on my blog Gabe? Because THAT is an attack and you don't have the courage to say it to my face.

Gabe said, "I made a few post on their and of course all of them attacked me."

I just reread many of the comments on the post you noted from my blog, especially Gabe's and mine. I can't find a single place where Gabe is attacked. Gabe, you need to provide evidence of being attacked. I don't see it and I don't think it exists.

You claim you were attacked and I think you are clearly wrong. Then you come here and attack me. Bravo.

7:51 PM, July 09, 2006  
Blogger Joe said...

That's a pretty harsh personal attack on Steve. Do you really think calling someone a "clown" helps discussion, shows love for your brother and honors God? Gabe, I think you owe Steve another apology, though this one is obviously more serious.

BTW, I have followed to conversation at Steve's blog and could not find where you were attacked.

8:35 PM, July 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home