Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Pat Summerall: From Addicted to Redeemed


For sports fans, Pat Summerall's voice is as recognizable as that of the president of the United States. I grew up listening to Summerall and his long-time color man, John Madden. Little did I know that for years Summerall was addicted to alcohol. A few years back, Summerall recalls what freed him from that life of sin:

"'My thirst for alcohol was being replaced by a thirst for knowledge about faith and God,' Summerall writes. 'I began reading the Bible regularly at the treatment center, and it became a part of my daily routine. The more I read, the more I felt a void in my life that needed to be filled.' Summerall’s book is his life’s story -- from his childhood days in Florida, to his college years in Arkansas, to his professional football career, to his experience in the broadcast booth. It’s entertaining and interesting, and sports fans will find it enjoyable. But most of all, Summerall’s book is a story of redemption, and how a man who nearly threw his life away found it restored through Jesus Christ."
The full story can be found here.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home