Monday, September 11, 2006

10 Questions with Dr. Alvin Reid


This week's interview is with Dr. Alvin Reid, the Bailey Smith Chair of Evangelism at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in Wake Forest, NC. I had the privilege of taking Dr. Reid's Intro to Evangelism class back in '03.

1) Briefly tell us about your life before Christ became your Lord and Savior, how you came to know Christ, and how your life has been changed since Christ.

AR: I met Christ at age 11, August 1970. I was at a small church that exploded in the Jesus Movement. Seeing the hippies radically changed made the most immediate impact. Jesus changed my life and I have never gotten over it!

2) In your opinion, what is the most crucial inner-denominational subject facing the SBC today?

AR: Things must change. We have seen a resurgence in biblical conviction without which I doubt we would be having this conversation. Now we need a resurgence of biblical practice. The biggest issue facing us in my view is how to help churches create a CULTURE where God is exalted, sacrificial living is expected, and lost people of all stripes are loved. A program will not solve the issues facing us; but leadership can, which is why I teach.

3) You have a lot of experience working with youth and have been outspoken about how youth should be utilized in every aspect of the church, most importantly evangelism. What are some specific activities youth can be involved in to help build Christ's Kingdom?

AR: Well I wrote a whole book on that called Raising the Bar, and it has been amazingly well received by youth pastors and pastors. In a nutshell: biblically youth are not children finishing childhood, they are young adults moving toward full adulthood. We should be raising an army not pacifying babies. Youth will rise to the level we set and the example we live. That does not mean cut out fun--I love to have a good time! But it does mean helping them see that it is really fun to see friends get saved. Youth need the wisdom of the aged, so they do not need to be the deacons or pastors, but they can do so much of the work of the church. Look at how Mormons with a false gospel use youth as their missionary force.

4) You are the Bailey Smith Chair and Professor of Evangelism and Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. What is the most mind-blowing thing the Lord has shown you in your last couple of years in your field of teaching?

AR: That God could use someone like me, an insecure, nervous young person, to train many of the leaders of our convention in the years to come in evangelism. I am still awed that I get to do what I do. Our great God is amazing.

5) Many Christians seem to have the most trouble witnessing to family members. What advice can you give those people about how to approach a lost family member?

AR:Look at some of Thom Rainer's research on this. He has found that family members, especially wives with unsaved husbands, can have a significant impact evangelistically. 1 Peter 3 gives insight also--our lifestyle must match our words. And never underestimate the mighty power of prayer.

6) Postmodernism is one of the buzzwords of the day. In your opinion, does a post-modern mindset exist in rural towns, just big cities, or even at all?

AR: Certainly in the great cities of America, moreso than the rural communities. That is an almost impossible question to answer briefly so let me be a shameless self promoter and mention I talk about that in my book Radically Unchurched: Who They Are and How to Reach Them (Kregel). :-)

7) Who has had the biggest influence in your life in respect to your spiritual and scholastic journey?

AR: No one person. Well, my wife Michelle would be the one. She has always been so supprotive of whatever I felt God was calling us to do. Also Russ Bush, Paige Patterson, Roy Fish, Malcolm McDow, Danny Akin, and lots of my peers.

8) What is your favorite book of the Bible?

AR: Philippians.

9) What's the most glaring difference between SEC and ACC football?

AR: SEC is better.. I am an ACC fan now (GO HEELS) but I am an ACC fan.

10) "What do you want on your tombstone?"

AR: Lover of God, lover of his family, and lover of people.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got the photos of Jackson, Charlie. Congratulations! I'm so glad to see that both he and Emily are safe.

1:46 PM, September 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home