Monday, October 30, 2006

Not Your Ordinary Afternoon in Ministry (But Should Be)


A good friend of mine, Rev. Andrew Winburn, told me an encouraging story that happened to him earlier today that I feel that all people in ministry should hear. I asked him for permission to post this incredible story and he gladly put his story into words:

"All throughout seminary I was taught how to go out of the church doors and engage lost people who have never heard the story of Jesus (thanks, Dr. Reid). No theology degree could have prepared me for what happened today.

Just when I thought that my week was overloaded with church work, God showed me that He is in control and offered an opportunity that will encourage any man called by God. My church work is done out of my home office—but today I stopped by the church and the phone went “Ring, Ring:” the voice on the other end of the line wanted to talk with a young pastor…and he wanted to meet in person.

The voice on the other line said, 'Before we meet, I want to let you know that I am 24 years old and just came to Columbia from Brooklyn. Last night I read from the book of John in the Gideon Bible at this cheap hotel and I have questions. I’m wearing a yellow shirt and a green book-bag.'

Wow!!! Someone from the big city of New York called my little church in South Carolina and wanted to know how to have a personal relationship with Christ. I called one of the deacons and we proceeded to break a few traffic laws in route to the food court at the mall where Rob was going to meet us (safety in numbers).

Rob hadn’t shaved in a few days and probably hadn’t eaten in more.

'So tell me what’s up Rob,' I questioned.

'My girlfriend and I broke up,' He said. 'I went to college here so I caught a bus down from Brooklyn. None of my friends from college will let me stay with them—they have changed. My mom lives in Charlotte but we don’t get along anymore. Things aren’t good. But I read John in that Gideon Bible last night. I’ve heard about this personal relationship with Jesus thing but I don’t have it.'

Silence. I’m shocked and so is the deacon.

I asked some more questions, explained the Gospel to Rob, and told him my story. I told him how Christ changed my life and how Jesus Christ is my personal Lord and Savior.

'I want that,' he said. 'Tell me how to have Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior.'

Right there in the food court at the mall in Columbia, Rob, with tears in his eyes and a smile on his face, met Jesus.

I got him some food, we talked for a long time, and I took him to the bookstore.

'I want you to have your own Bible,' I told him.

“Well, all I have is what I am wearing and this book-bag. No Money.”

“I’m buying,' I said.

'Wow, thanks. Then get the cheapest one.'

Rob then spoke words that I wish most people in SBC churches could say: 'Andrew, you told me how the blind-man was changed by Christ, how people noticed, and how he then told them about Christ. That happened to you. Now I have been changed by Christ. I want my mom to see. Jesus is the first step in repairing our relationship. Will you take me to the bus station? I need to go to Charlotte.'

That was the best money I have spent in a while and the happiest I have been after accomplishing no 'church work' on a day that I had more to do than time to do it.

Rob will call me again and I will encourage him and offer him discipleship. And the next time my week is in overload with 'church work' I will remember Rob…and remember that God has called me to spread the Gospel and make disciples."

What a wonderful and true story! What a blessing the Gideons are who tirelessly place Bibles in every nook and cranny in the world. Also, this story is a testimony of how we are all just pieces of the puzzle that is God's amazing plan to redeem humanity. He chooses us and tells us where to go and uses us in this time of history to accomplish his plan. Wow!

3 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

The Gideons are good people.

3:38 AM, October 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that story, Charlie. All this morning I've been thinking about the noble calling of ministry in a world that rejects the minister's Gospel. God is still at work! Please give Andrew my best.

3:28 PM, October 31, 2006  
Blogger Charlie Wallace said...

Matthew,

The Gideons have a wonderful ministry.

Drew,

Ministry can be disheartening sometimes when the world rejects the message. However, we are told that we will be rejected but how wonderful the blessings are in obeying our calling!

7:56 PM, October 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home