Thursday, July 06, 2006

DMB and Christ


Over at Dr. Alvin Reid's new blog, there was a discussion about Southern Rock and secular song lyrics. I commented about how the Dave Matthews Band's lyrics usually have spiritual overtones. I discovered DMB as a freshman in high school when pop music started playing the "What Would You Say" single on the radio. I quickly discovered that DMB had older, independent albums and I started buying them. Their music was less complex in the early 90's and, in my opinion, DMB blossomed until around '99. On the Remember Two Things CD ('93) the last track is entitled "Christmas Song." Here are the lyrics (long):


She was his girl; he was her boyfriend
She'd be his wife and make him her husband
A surprise on the way, any day, any day
One healthy little giggling dribbling baby boy
The wise men came, three made their way
To shower him with love
While he lay in the hay
Shower him with love love love
Love love love
Love love was all around

Not very much of his childhood was known
Kept his mother Mary worried
Always out on his own
He met another Mary who for a reasonable fee,
less than reputable was known to be.

His heart full of love love love
Love love love
Love love was all around

When Jesus Christ was nailed to his tree
Said "oh, Daddy-o, I can see how it all soon will be
I came to shed a little light on this darkening scene
Instead I fear I've spilled the blood of my children all around"

The blood of my children all around
The blood of my children's all around

So I'm told, so the story goes
The people he knew were
Less than golden hearted
Gamblers and Robbers
Drinkers and Jokers, all soul searchers
Like you and me
Like you and me

Rumors insisted he soon would be
For his deviations
Taken into custody
By the authorities less informed than he.
Drinkers and Jokers all soul searchers
Searching for love love love
Love love love
Love love was all around

Preparations were made
For his celebration day
He said "eat this bread and think of it as me
Drink this wine and dream it will be
The blood of our children all around
The blood of our children's all around
The blood of our children all around

Father up above, why in all this hatred do you fill
Me up with love, love, love
Love love love
Love love was all around
Father up above, why in all this hatred do you fill
Me up with love, fill me love love love
Love love love
all you need is love
you can't buy me love
Love love love
Love love
And the blood of our children's all around.

Now this song is obviously chronicling the life of Christ. Most of what is written is fairly theologically sound. Matthews mentions that Christ met 'another Mary' and seems to imply that she was a prostitute. Who is this Mary? Well, contrary to popular belief, Scripture never mentions that Mary Magdelene was a prostitute.

Mary Magdalene has become confused with two other women in the Bible: Mary, the sister of Martha and the unnamed sinner from Luke's gospel (7:36-50) both of whom wash Jesus' feet with their hair.

Also, I don't think Jesus cried out "oh, Daddy-o," however, he did cry out "Abba" which some scholars have suggested means 'daddy.'

Aside from these, most of the story that Matthews portrays is accurate. However, one refrain leaves me puzzled:

"The blood of our children all around"

I'm not sure exactly what Matthews is getting at here. I'd like for any other DMB (or Christology) experts to shed some light on this.

11 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

First, DMB are not theologians, but writers and musicians.

The statement "Blood of all our children" could be a reference to Mary and Jesus' sexual relations

4:13 PM, July 06, 2006  
Blogger Mr McFeely said...

I've always taken that line to mean that while Jesus was dying he was afraid of what people may turn his teachings into. ie. the crusades, KKK, nazis...

As to dave matthews lyrics being sprirtual. Yes many of them are spiritual, but not in a way that promotes christianity.

Lyrics such as "Hoping to god on high, is like clinging to straws while drowning." "There's no God above and no hell below Oh, it's here with us It's up to us to keep afloat."

Dave Matthews was raised as a Quaker and held many of their views as his own, until the murder of his sister. After his sister was killed his lyrics about religion turned much more dark. When talking about Christmas Song he said "I'm glad some people have that faith. I don't have that faith. If there is a God, a caring God, then we have to figure he's done an extraordinary job of making a very cruel world."

9:15 PM, July 06, 2006  
Blogger Charlie Wallace said...

Ben,

Interesting take on the line...

I thought DMB wrote a systematic theology?!

McFeely,

Interesting take on the line...that possibility never crossed my mind.

I never implied Matthews was a Christian or even that his lyrics were Christian. However, the point is that his lyrics are spiritual and he is definitely searching for truth. That's all I have affirmed.

I also find it interesting that if what you quote about him is true, that eventhough he doesn't have faith, he still devoted an entire song to the life of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior.

10:29 PM, July 06, 2006  
Blogger Mr McFeely said...

"I also find it interesting that if what you quote about him is true, that eventhough he doesn't have faith, he still devoted an entire song to the life of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior."

He has said multiple times that this song is about a story about a guy who he really likes, and got the short end of the stick. The song was written before his sister was killed, which led to his loss of faith in his religion. The entire song was devoted to YOUR lord and savior, not his.

10:51 PM, July 06, 2006  
Blogger Charlie Wallace said...

Jeff,

Jesus got far from the short end of the stick.

It is sad that a family tragedy would lead someone to reject Christ. Perhaps the Quaker background which Matthews came from did not give him a Biblical view of God's love, justice, and the sinfulness of humanity. Unfortunately, this happens quite often.

I am thankful for any song that has the possibility of peaking one's interest and could lead someone to a life-saving faith in Jesus Christ. I know it had an influence on me as a ninth-grader and led me to study more about who Jesus was and what He did for me. Thanks, Dave.

But, thanks for clearing up this issue.

11:08 PM, July 06, 2006  
Blogger Mr McFeely said...

I really like the song too. I'm not saying the jesus got the short end of the stick. I'm saying I've heard dave matthews say this.

12:21 AM, July 07, 2006  
Blogger Charlie Wallace said...

Mcf,

Thanks for the info.

9:58 AM, July 07, 2006  
Blogger Dantzler Smith said...

also, i would add that one of the many reason i've always liked dmb is that they are very 'up with people'. that is, they write songs about love and kindness and everything people ought to do to help each other out in life. so i dont think he thinks people are sinful. actually i know he doesnt bc in numerous interviews he has expressed that he has hope for people and society and everything esle rather than saying that we are all sinfull and can only be saved by god.

that's why he is so cool! you can like his music if you are old, young, punk, hiphop, rock, white, black, muslim, quaker, baptist, or aethists (which matthews has said that he was).

and to incinuate that quackers have misunderstood god's love in a way that makes them less than you and your baptist ilk is exactly what he and his music are not about. i'm glad you like it and all, but rather than try to force your views into his music, why not think about what it means objectively.

and by the way, aren't you the one that says there is one and only one interpritation of written words. i believe that came up before and you said that the only true interpritation of a song or book is the one that the artist intended. i dont agree with that but, if that is what you are about, then should you apply it to dmb. so as an aethist, his songs probably wont mesh with your views.

anyway, i was in va beach on the 4th and they were outstanding.

peace out

1:12 PM, July 07, 2006  
Blogger Charlie Wallace said...

DS,

"so i dont think he thinks people are sinful."

I agree with you on this issue. He does not have a biblical grasp on sin (which is to be expected)and this is reflected in his lyrics.

"and to incinuate that quackers have misunderstood god's love in a way that makes them less than you and your baptist ilk is exactly what he and his music are not about. i'm glad you like it and all, but rather than try to force your views into his music, why not think about what it means objectively."

I did insinuate that Quakers have misunderstood God's love and I stand by that claim. Also, I am not, nor have I ever tried to force Christianity into DMB's music...which is what this post is about... I said his music is spiritual. I never claimed it was Christian. You and McFeely both have tried to claim this is what I'm doing and I'm not sure where you both got that from.

Also, I do say that there is one interpretation to everything that is written (unless a work is intentionally written ambigiously, which makes about as much sense as eating soup with chopsticks). I was merely dissecting Matthews' lyrics and not trying to force them into a Christian context.

If You and McFeely are going to participate on my blog I would appreciate it if you would actually read what I write and not re-interpret my authorial intent. But, as you mentioned, you don't agree with original authorial intent so maybe I should keep expecting to have to re-state my views.

11:44 PM, July 07, 2006  
Blogger Stephen said...

I love Dave Matthews's music, but it seems from everything I've heard from him on the subject, he has heard the message of Christ (in some form) and just doesn't buy it. I've got some old live recordings of DMB shows, and in one of them he introduces 'Christmas Song' by saying, "This is a guy who stood up to the authorities and said, 'the world's not quite what it should be.'" Or something to that effect.

I love Dave's music, and I can enjoy his music knowing that all creativity is God's and Dave's creativity is a reflection of how he was made to reflect God's glory. Unfortunately, from the confession of his words about Christ I must assume he is not a beliver, so therefore any truth he utters is accidental on his part. Still, I love his music and am moved to hear someone so clearly searching for beauty and purpose in a broken world.

-Stephen

2:20 AM, July 15, 2006  
Blogger Charlie Wallace said...

Stephen,

"therefore any truth he utters is accidental on his part. Still, I love his music and am moved to hear someone so clearly searching for beauty and purpose in a broken world."

Very well said. I can worship God through Christmas Song, and the miracle of Christ's life, death, and resurrection (even though DMB turns his life into a social gospel).

Clearly, he is, as you stated, searching for beauty and purpose in a broken world. And this is where Christians and people like Matthews are similar. The only difference is we know where purpose comes from and how to get it.

3:51 PM, July 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home